Thursday, July 3, 2008

Hodge Podge

Wow, I don't know how the days pass so fast. I think I just posted then the date tells me it has been days. Maybe it is because I am still in the same clothes and haven't left the house eh? I prepare all these great posts in my head but then decide I need a special picture or something scanned...then time passes and when they don't magically appear on my computer I forget about them. If I can get hubby to clear off the scanner and scan a few things I will have a special Fourth of July food post for you, fingers crossed. But for now I am going to share a "hodge podge" of things from the last few days.


For the last few months every Friday and Saturday night I have been scanning Craig's List for local yard sales. Last weekend there were over 300 in the greater Boston Area. Granted, about 295 are eliminated due to location and car issues so I focus on the few right close to us. I know I would find some amazing stuff if I went to some of the estate sales out in places like Concord and Lexington, old families and old money. Part of the problem is the weird schedules they have them around here. Now, at home, each sale runs Thursday through Saturday. People start showing up before 6 am and they run until late in the afternoon. Now granted, in Arizona it gets hot really quick so the earlier the better but I know a lot of other places where it is the same way. Well, here they go from 10 or 11 (no early birds please) and run til 1 or 2. Seriously, three hours? The way they are spread out and with traffic there is no way to make to more than 3 or 4 at the most. Well by the time I get up, take my pills, wait and wait for them to kick in then get ready to go there is only time to really pick 1 or 2 if they are close.
So I usually just bow out. Well last week there were only a few in my area but I did find one just up the hill that was actually on from 9-5. I was shocked. The best part was that they had listed huge amounts of quality fabric. I went back and forth about going but finally D and I mosied up the hill to see if they were still open. Sure enough, tucked in a little side street was a few tables of things. As I got looking, the fabric got better and better. Most of it was high quality designer home decor fabric, remnants and huge pieces. It turns out that the owner was or is a furniture decorater. He covered chairs and made pillows and drapes etc. Of course that meant he knew exactly what each piece was worth but I did get a few beauties. He said he had only brought out a little and had tons of cottons and blends in remnant pieces. He couldn't show me then but said he would call and I could come to his work shop and go through everything myself. Sweet! Of course he hasn't called yet, but I do still have his contact info from the sale add. He also had lots of little vintage stationary packets for 25 cents each and some beautiful china sets which I couldn't afford. The fabric I bought isn't my usual style but I am learning that anything can work with the right project and fabric/color combos. The pink one is 4-5 yard Robert Kaufman piece, that I know will be perfect for something. I love the subtle metallic in the fans. The other two are a bit heavier but perfect for bags and pillows. Seven dollars for the lot, not bad.

You should see the beautiful flowers Ros from Bloom got photos of in her local botanical gardens. Keep in mind she is in Australia and it is the dead of winter. She sent me this picture this morning of this flower tree.

There are tons of these long blooms hanging down from one tree. We don't know the name of it but I have decided to play it Anne of Green Gables style and name them "Angels Tresses". You heard it here first! Aren't they beautiful. Go check out her other photos and wonderful blog full of great ideas and craftiness. She posted these pancakes yesterday stacked with bananas and sugar covered in cream and they look fantastic!

I was reading a few of Amy's posts this morning over at Angry Chicken. She decided to make her own deodorant. I have to say, though I admire her for doing it I don't think I am ready for that step for awhile. I am barely warming up to the fabric grocery bag thing...I have a ways to go before the deodorant. She also mentioned however, that she has stopped using shampoo for her hair and is now using a baking soda wash with apple cider vinegar "conditioner".
Basically you just dilute a tablespoon of each in a cup of water (separately) and run it through your hair every few days. Apparently shampoos actually strip your hair of its natural oils which is why you need conditioner. Hair is actually most healthy when left alone to let the natural oils coat and protect the hair. I have heard this before. I only wash my hair with shampoo once every 7-10 days. Any more and it is impossible to handle. So I think I will give this a go, especially with my hair getting longer. There is a great post explaining everything and answering questions here. I know it sounds weird but Amy is liking it and not one person that commented about it was disappointed. So from here on out I am going to be poo-free. You heard me, baking soda or bust baby. OK OK, I will at least try it for a few weeks then let you know the progress. Thanks for the info Amy.

Oh wow, I almost forgot the best part of my week so far. I think I was too distracted by the cupcakes she posted today, that I almost forgot the wonderful little package of fabrics Nanette sent me. Her neighbor Laura is a wonderful cook and constantly brings Nanette the most amazing treats. Today was the kicker though...S'mores cupcakes. I held up ok after these and these and even this, though it was a close call (just scroll down a little on the post, you will know what I am talking about!). S'mores are my absolute favorite and I am an amazing S'more maker. It's true! I am not good at a lot of things but I can make you the best S'more you have ever had. Until I saw these cupcakes...wowee. Laura better watch out because if she keeps making these things for me to see, one day she is gonna wake up with a new grown child living with her, LOL.

See how distracted I get when cupcakes are in the picture! Where were we? Right, the most adorable little fabric stack ever. I have a very small fabric collection(compared to all of you ladies, not my husband lol) as I just started in the last few years. This stack has linen, Japanese prints, vintage prints etc. Many of them have a kitcheny theme and I adore them. Every one is so precious I can't pick a favorite.

I am going to have to find some very special projects for these beauties! Thank you so so much Nanette, it means more than I could ever say!

Every year Doug's family including cousins gets together at the lake. We have gone the last five years and loved it but realized that this year it was just a little much. I am still dealing with my medication issues until my insurance comes through. Our car is leaking coolant and we don't think it is up for the two hour drive in the heat so we would need rides there and back etc. We miss you guys! Hope your having a great time. Instead we are going to hang out here, maybe cook up something tasy (in my new apron no less) and enjoy each others company. We wish everyone a wonderful holiday. God Bless America!

4 comments:

jacquie said...

Lots going on this week for you, but you saved the best for last. That fabric is amazing! You are going to have so much fun with it! Have a fab weekend!

Tipper said...

I love yard sales too. Treasure hunts. I liked all your tidbits in this post and hope you have a great Fourth!

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh my gosh Stacy I missed this post. My google reader didn't list this as new!! I'm so glad you told me about it. First off it explains the poo-free!!! haha Now I get it. But do you smell like vinegar? My mom used vinegar for so many house hold things that I have a hard time with it. She would put it in our iron to clean it and then all our clothes would smell like vinegar!!! Not fun in Jr. High.

What sweet things to say about me and my friend Laura and her cupcakes. Thanks so much. And to think I nearly missed this!! EEK. What a cute cute post. Thank you again. I 'm glad you like the fabric, just a little thank-you. Good luck with your car. We always drive junkers but I refuse to have a car payment. Right now our cars are doing ok but we've been there. It really is too bad we don't live closer, my dave is handy with cars and he might have been able to help you out.

I hope you are feeling well.

Thanks again!

love nanette

Joanna said...

OK do you know how totally jealous I am? So I went to Nanette's lecture here and it was wonderful - she passed around these piles of vintage squares and we were allowed to pick two each. I had the worst time deciding. There were so many I wanted. Now I look at your blog and I am recognising squares - I am Jealous with a capital J LOL!!! Her quilts were gorgeous in person. Wish you had been there with me - can you imagine, all three of us together?!! Oh my what a thought!!