Sunday, July 20, 2008

a few happy things...

Hello Friends! To help give me post ideas and share some quick things about my world I have decided to join a few meme's. There are many going a round and I can't do all of them but there are a few I always enjoy reading, including "This Is..." by Three Buttons way over in Melbourne Australia. Each week someone on the list picks a new theme (on Wed. I think) and then you post about it on Sundays. It is fun with the Aussies because they are pretty much a day ahead of us so really we get two days of posts. Notice I waited til the last second, but at least I got it in instead of just scratching it and trying for next week. Progress!

This weeks theme is, This is what makes me Happy....

Many things make me happy, not just one thank goodness. That would be a lonely life.

Vintage images and clothing make me happy. I love the history of things. Learning about them, imagining things about them. I would love these dresses, labeled as "casual day wear". See history, as in wearing big fancy dresses as casual day wear is history.

Mi Familia makes me happy. I have a very...ummm... unique (read strange) family and I love them to bits. I have been able to really get to know them in the past few years and that has been priceless.

Books of all kinds make me happy. I love to be surrounded by them. This is a poetry medley set from the 1950's that my aunt, who got them from my grandmother gave to me for my birthday. We have 8 small to ginormous full book cases in our one bedroom apartment. I love the knowledge and adventure reading brings. I love being able to travel through space and time without leaving my house. I love Books.

I love fabric and crafts. The touch, smell and experience of crafting is hard to beat. It is a quest to surround oneself with beautiful things while exercising our minds and creative power. The therapeutic value of crafting is unmatched by most things.

Food makes me really happy, especially in pie cake and cookie dough form, but all food. I don't like to mix my sweet with my savory much, though I am making an effort. This pie made me so happy I stood in front of the fridge with a spoon and ate the whole thing. Only 1 piece ever made it to the plate. I love cooking food as well. And cake, mmmm, did I mention that already?

Finally, My husband and my cat make my whole life happy. He really is the best friend/companion one could ever have. He only looks mean in this photo because he is wearing a du-rag and trying to look tough. We are at the lake as well, only smiles there. Bertha is a little bundle of untouchable love. Well we can touch her a bit but there are guidelines. That makes sense. I have boundaries when people touch me too. She is getting old though and slowing down a lot. We love her to pieces.


This is just a few things, of course there are others like rain and good friends but you get the idea. Thank you Jacinta for a lovely theme. You can see what makes others happy at Three Buttons. I haven't had her put me on the list yet, but I will tomorrow. Have a great week everyone. Love Stacy

14 comments:

Cathy {tinniegirl} said...

That's a great list. We have a lot of common loves. What a pity we don't live just around the corner from each other so we could get together and share some food, compare books and craft together.

Chocolate Cat said...

Thank you so much for sharing the things that make you happy! Most of the things on your list are also on mine...

Karin said...

Much in common! I love those books! I have a leather bound set of the complete works of Louisa May Alcott. My aunt gave them to me when I was ten and I've always loved them. No. Revered them.

And those vintage patterns. I smuggled about a dozen home from my mothers last time I visited. I love the look of them and the fact that they are still filled with so much untapped potential. Beautiful.

My sister used to live in Somerville so I know the area well!

Anonymous said...

You know, these lines could be from me, except the one with the husband, ;o)))

but you know what makes me happy too, that I found you on the net
thanks for being there

Oh yeah, almost forgot, Doug's picture reminds me a lot the typical Robert de Niro face, incredible

Vickie said...

I love just about everything that makes you happy!

Nanette Merrill said...

Stacy we have SO much in common. So many things you list are the ones that make me happy too. Fun to know.

jacquie said...

It's a great way to look at life through the things we love. I do have to leave out the pie and cake thing...i'm trying not to love those quite so much!

azsmith said...

Stacy: I loved reading this post, it was so nice to read about what makes you happy. What a great thing to think about, especially when it's so easy to slip into the "what makes me unhappy" syndrome, at least for me. It's a good reminder of the good things in our lives. Thanks for sharing these things with us.

Lisa said...

Great post! So great to know you even better! Have a good week!

Sweet P said...

What a great post! The photo of your and DH on your wedding day is awesome!

Tipper said...

Very neat post. You are an interesting person! And we have many common interests too.

susan said...

a lot of what makes you happy are the same things that make me happy! can i ask for the name of the pie that you felt the need to eat the whole thing right from the fridge??

Shannon Harris said...

I am having so much fun reading your blog!!!! Love it!!!

Lisa W. said...

Your wedding picture is really nice. :0)

Lisa (flickr lmdesign7)